Blue Quills (AB)

Dates of Operation
August 1, 1898 - June 20, 1990
Description
Roman Catholic missionaries established a boarding school at Lac la Biche in 1891. The school buildings were moved to the Saddle Lake First Nation in 1898 and the school was renamed Blue Quills. The school was relocated once more in 1931, to a location near St. Paul, Alberta. When the federal government announced that it would be closing the school in 1970, Saddle Lake First Nation members occupied the school in protest. Their occupation ended with an agreement that saw Blue Quills become Canada’s first residence and school controlled by First Nations people. The high school and its residence closed in 1990. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Sacred Heart
Saddle Lakes
Blue Quills Boarding School
Blue Quills Roman Catholic Indian Residential School
St. Joseph's Hostel
St. Joseph's Hospice
Sacred Heart Mission
Blue Quills Native Residential School
Blue Quills Student Residence
Blue Quills School
Blue Quills Native Education Centre
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Places

Blue Quills (built)