Elkhorn (MB)

Dates of Operation
August 6, 1889 - June 30, 1949
Description
The Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Anglican Church of Canada

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Anglican Indian Residential School
Elkhorn Indian Boarding School
Elkhorn Indian Industrial School
Elkhorn Industrial School
Elkhorn Institute
Elkhorn Institution
Elkhorn Washakada
Elkorn Indian Home
Indian Industrial School at Elkhorn
Kasota Home
Washakada
Washakada Indian Home
Washakada Industrial School
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Places

Elkhorn (built)