Beauval (SK)

Dates of Operation
1897 -1995
Description
St. Bruno’s boarding school was opened by Roman Catholic missionaries in 1860 at Ile à la Crosse. Poor living conditions at the school led the Grey Nuns teaching at the school to leave in 1905. In 1906 the school was moved to the confluence of the La Plonge and Beaver Rivers. In 1927 nineteen students and one teacher died in a fire that destroyed the school and the dormitories. In 1969 the federal government took over the administration of the school. In 1985 full control of the school and residence was transferred to the Meadow Lake Tribal Council. The residence closed in 1995. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Beauval Indian Boarding School
Beauval Indian Education Centre
Beauval Indian Residential High School
Beauval Indian Residential School
Beauval Student Residence
Ile a la Crosse
Ile a la Crosse Boarding School
Ile a la Crosse School
La Plonge High School
Lac la Plonge
Lac la Plonge Indian Boarding School
Lac la Plonge Indian Mission School
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Places

Beauval (built)