Sacred Heart (NWT)

Dates of Operation
September 1, 1906 - June 30, 1960
Description
Opened in 1867, the Sacred Heart School at Fort Providence was the first residential school in the Canadian north. Life at the school in its early years was hard: in one year there was no meat, flour, potatoes, butter or grease. The original log structure was expanded in 1912. A new three-story school was built in the 1930s. Through most its history there were 65 to 75 students enrolled in the school, but in the 1950s enrolment was around 100. The school closed in 1960. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Fort Providence
Fort Providence Residential School
Our Lady of Providence Convent
Providence Boarding School
Providence Indian Residential School
Providence Mission Indian Residential School
Providence Mission Roman Catholic Residential School
Sacred Heart Boarding School
Sacred Heart Convent
Sacred Heart Hospital
Sacred Heart Residential School
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...