Exterior view of Coqualeetza Institute and grounds.
A new, larger Coqualeetza Institute was built in 1924 after its predecessor was deemed inadequate for the student population. It had room for 200 students including some sitting rooms and semi-private bedrooms for the older students. The Institute housed individual shops for industrial arts (blacksmithing, motor mechanics, small boat building, shoe repair, manual training) and a printing press. The building also had on display some 800 pieces of Aboriginal artwork, all from Principal Raley’s personal collection. New to the curriculum were classes in wood carving for boys and basket weaving for girls. Although this was an attempt to encourage indigenous art and handicraft, none of the instructors at Coqualeetza was First Nations.