Bishop Horden Hall (ON)

Dates of Operation
July 1, 1906 - June 30, 1976
Description
Anglican missionaries established a boarding school at Moose Island on Hudson Bay in the 1850s. In 1905 the Bishop of Moosonee converted his former residence into a residential school. In 1914 that school (named Bishop’s school) was destroyed by fired and replaced with the Moose Fort school. A new building, named Bishop Horden Hall, was built in 1953. In the 1960s the classroom operations of the school were merged with those of the local public school, and the school was renamed the Horden Hall Student Residence. The federal government took over the administration of the school in 1969 and closed the Horden Hall Student Residence in 1976. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Anglican Church of Canada

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Bishop Horden Memorial Indian Residential School
Bishop Horden Memorial School
Horden Hall
Moose Factory
Moose Fort
Moose Fort Indian and Eskimo Residential School
Moose Island
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Places

Bishop Horden Hall (built)