Fort William (ON)

Dates of Operation
1885 -1970
This school started as a Roman Catholic orphanage and school on the Mission Indian Reserve near Fort William. In the 1880s it started to receive funding from the federal government. Destroyed by fire in 1895, it was rebuilt that same year. It was relocated to Fort William in 1907 and became known as the St. Joseph’s Indian Industrial School. The school policy of not turning children away resulted in constant overcrowding problems. From the mid-1960s until its closure the school operated solely as a residence for students who were attending local day schools. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Catholic Church

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Fort William Boys School
Fort William Girls School
Fort William Indian Boarding School
Fort William Orphanage
Fort William Orphanage Boarding School
Immaculate Conception Orphan Asylum
St. Joseph Convent Orphanage School
St. Joseph's
St. Joseph's Boarding School
St. Joseph's Home
St. Joseph's Indian Home
St. Joseph's Indian Industrial School
St. Joseph's Residential School


Do you have a story or comment about this school?



Fort William (built)