St. Mary's (ON)

Dates of Operation
September 1, 1897 - June 30, 1972
Description
Opened in 1897 at Rat Portage in northwestern Ontario this school was first known as the Rat Portage Boarding School, then the Kenora Boarding School and then St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic School. From 1938 it was known as St. Mary’s School. Early in its history, the local band negotiated an agreement that students would not be converted to Catholicism against their parent’s will. A fire destroyed one of the school residences in 1938. During the 1960s, the school began to integrate its students into the local day school system. The school closed in 1972. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
École Saint-Antoine
Kenora
Kenora Boarding School
Kenora Indian Industrial School
Kenora R.C. Indian Residential School
Rat Portage
Rat Portage Boarding School
St. Anthony
St. Anthony's
St. Anthony's Roman Catholic School
St. Mary
St. Mary's Industrial School
St. Mary's Student Residence
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Places

St. Mary's (ON) (location of)

Records

Loading...