Photograph
Photograph

Cariboo (BC)

Dates of Operation
July 19, 1891 - June 30, 1981
Description
The Cariboo school was opened by Roman Catholic missionaries in 1891. In 1902 nine boys ran away from the school, one of them dying of exposure. In 1920, nine boys ate poisonous water hemlock in what parents believed to be a response to discipline at the school. One of these boys died. The school closed in 1981. In the 1980s and 1990s two former staff members pled guilty to charges of sexually abusing students in the 1950s and 1960s. In 1998, a former principal apologized to a former student and school employee who had charged him with a series of sex offences. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church
Home Communities of Students
Alexandria; Alexis Creek; Alkali Lake; Anaham; Anderson Lake; Ashcroft; Bonaparte; Bridge River; Canim Lake; Canoe Creek; Clinton; Coldwater; Cowichan; Dog Creek; Euchinico; Fountain; High Bar; Kamloops; Kluskus Lake; Kluxkux Lake; Kuklinko; Lake Babine; Lillooet; Little Shuswap; Moricetown; Mount Currie; Natzoo; Nazko; Nemiah Valley; North Thompson; Pavillion; Pemberton; Quesnel; Redstone; Riske Creek; Seton Lake; Skwah; Soda Creek; Squamish; Stone; Stoney; Taodistan; Toosey; Ulkatcho; Ulgatcho; Williams Lake.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Indian School at 150 Mile House
Williams Lake Industrial School
Cariboo Indian Industrial School
Cariboo Indian Student Residence
Cariboo Industrial School
Cariboo Student Residence
Caribou Residential School
St. Joseph's
St. Joseph's Indian Residential School
St. Joseph's Industrial School
St. Joseph's Mission School
St. Joseph's Residential School
William's Lake
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...