Coqualeetza Residential School in Sardis, Chilliwack, BC
Coqualeetza Residential School in Sardis, Chilliwack, BC

Coqualeetza (BC)

Dates of Operation
September 1, 1889 - June 30, 1940
Description
Methodist missionaries opened a day school at Coqualeetza, BC in 1886. The following year, they added a residence for boarding students. A new school, built in 1889, burned down in 1891. Starting in the 1920s, the school began teaching Aboriginal handicrafts. The principal, in an effort to decrease the institutional nature of the school, introduced cottages for younger students and semi-private rooms for older students in the 1930s. When the school closed in 1940, students were transferred to the Alberni school and the school building became the Coqualeetza Indian Hospital. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
United Church of Canada, Methodist Church
Home Communities of Students
Aiyansh, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, Campbell River, Capilano, Chemainus, Clo'oose, Cowichan, Gitlakdamix, Haida, Hartley Bay, Hazelton, Kemano, Kilgard, Kincolith, Kitalope, Kitamaat, Kitkatla, Klemtu, Koksilah, Lakalsap, Lytton, Malahat, Massett, Musqueam, Nanaimo, Nanoose, Nitinaht, Port Essington, Port Renfrew, Port Simpson, Quamichan, Saanichton, Salishan, Salmon River, Skulkayn, Somenos, Soowahlia, Sumas, Teheaston.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Chilliwack Home
Chilliwack Indian Industrial Institute
Coqualeetza Boarding School
Coqualeetza Home
Coqualeetza Hospital
Coqualeetza Hostel
Coqualeetza Indian Institute
Coqualeetza Industrial Institute
Coqualeetza Industrial School
Coqualeetza Institute
Coqualeetza Residential School
Coqualeetza Training Institute
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...