Photograph
Photograph

Cranbrook (BC)

Dates of Operation
October 1, 1890 - June 30, 1970
Description
The Kootenay or St. Eugene’s residential school opened in 1890 just north of Cranbrook, BC. The first school was replaced with an industrial school in 1912. An Indian Agent reported in 1935 that, as a result of poor food, overwork, and sickness, he had to force parents to send their children to the school. Despite a change in the principal, school attendance and runaways were ongoing problems. There were also recurring outbreaks of influenza, mumps, measles, chicken pox, and tuberculosis. In 1969, the federal government took over the operation of the residence, closing it the following year. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church
Home Communities of Students
St. Mary's; Lower Kootenay; Tobacco Plains; Lower Similkameen; Similkameen; Okanagan; Inkamoop / Inkammoep / Inkameep; Termission; Creston; Vernon; Enderby; Comox; Little Shuswap; Upper Nicola; Spallumchene / Spallumcheon / Sallumchene; North Thompson; Lake Similk.; Neskainlith; Tsartlip; Osoyoos; Penticton; Columbia Lake; Shuswap; Tsartlip; Westbank; Athelmer; Cranbrook; Kamloops; Cardston and Seabird Island.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Cranbrook Indian Residential School
Kootenay
Kootenay Hostel
Kootenay Indian Residential School
Kootenay Indian School
Kootenay Industrial School
St. Eugene Indian Residential School
St. Eugene Mission
St. Eugene Mission Industrial School
St. Eugene Student Residence
St. Eugene's
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...