Photograph
Photograph

Lower Post (BC)

Dates of Operation
September 1, 1951 - 30 June , 1975
Description
The Lower Post school opened in 1951 at Lower Post, British Columbia, just south of the British Columbia-Yukon border. At the time there were no Roman Catholic residential schools in the Yukon and the school was intended largely for Catholic Aboriginal students from the Yukon and northern British Columbia. The facilities were expanded in 1954 and 1960. The federal government took over the school in 1969 and closed it in 1975. In the mid-1990s two former Lower Post staff members were convicted of having sexually assaulted students while working at the school. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church
Home Communities of Students
Aishihik, Atlin, Atlin-Teslin, Burwash, Carcross, Carmacks, Casca, Cassiar, Champagne, Finlay River, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Fort Ware, Frances Lake, Hudson Hope, Johnson’s Crossing, Kluane, Liard River, Mayo, Muskowekan, Nelson River, Pelly Lakes, Ross River, Scotty Creek, Selkirk, Sekanni, Slavey, Snag, Squanga Lake, Steward River, Stikine, Tahltan, Teslin, Teslin Lake, Upper Liard, Watson Lake, White River, Whitehorse.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Lower Post School
Lower Post Catholic Indian Residential School
Lower Post Hostel and School
Lower Post Indian Day School
Lower Post Indian Residential School
Lower Post Provincial School
Lower Post Public School
Lower Post Residence
Lower Post Residential School
Lower Post Roman Catholic Residential School
Lower Post Student Residence
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...