St. Michael's Indian Residential School
St. Michael's Indian Residential School

St. Michael's (BC)

Dates of Operation
1893-1974
Description
The Anglican Church established a day school at its mission in Alert Bay, British Columbia in 1878. It opened a small boarding school there in 1882 and an industrial school in 1894. In 1929, a new building was constructed. The school was known for the arts and crafts produced by the students and the two large totem poles in front of the school building. In 1947, two-dozen children ran away from the school. The subsequent investigation into conditions at the school led to the resignation of both the principal and the vice-principal. By 1969, when the federal government assumed administration of the school, all residents were attending local schools. The residence closed in 1974. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Anglican Church of Canada
Home Communities of Students
Ahwamish, Aiyansh, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, Campbell River, Canyon City, Cape Medge, Gilford Island, Gitlakdamix, Greenville, Hartley Bay, Kincolish, Kitamaat, Kitasoo, Kitkatla, Kitselas, Kitsumkaylum, Kitwancool, Kitwanga, Klemtu, Klowitsis, Kwawawain, Kwawkewlth, Kwawwawaineuk, Kwickeutaineuk, Lakalzap, Mamalillikulla, Masset, Matilpi, Metlakatla, Nakwakto, Nimpkish, Nishga, Nuwhitti, Oweekayno, Port Essington, Port Simpson, Quatsino, Quawshelah, Skidegate, Squamish, Tanateuk, Tswataineuk, Tsimpsheen, Turnour Island.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
St. Michael's Student Residence
Alert Bay Boys' Home
Alert Bay Girls' Home
Alert Bay Industrial School
Alert Bay Residential School
Alert Bay Student Residence
Boys Industrial School
Indian Girls' Home at Alert Bay
Indian Residential School, Alert Bay
Residential School for Boys
St. Michael's Hostel
St. Michael's Indian School
St. Mike's
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...