Photograph
Photograph

Sechelt (BC)

Dates of Operation
July 28, 1904 - June 30, 1975
Description
With the encouragement of Oblate missionaries and the Roman Catholic bishop of New Westminster, members of the Sechelt band started construction of a residential school in 1903. The school opened the following year under Roman Catholic administration and was funded by the federal government from 1905 onwards. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1917. In 1923 the parents withdrew their children from the school to protest the poor quality of education, harsh discipline, and inadequate diet. The protest led to the appointment of a new principal and an increase in school funding. The facility closed in June 1975. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)
Denomination
Catholic Church
Home Communities of Students
Port Alberni, Squamish, Sechelt, Sliammon, Homalco, Tsawassen, Klahoose, Nanaimo, Musqueam, Katsie, Hesquith, Coquitlam, Seabird Island, Katz, Chehalis, Cheam, Spuzzum, Alert Bay, Chilliwack, Skway, Kwawkwelth, Burrard, Semiahmoo, O'Hawel, Kitamat, Pemberton, Bella Coola, Scowlitz, Anderson Lake, Comox, Skwah, Union Bar, Cowichan, Mount Currie, Oweekano, Skeah, High Bar, Samaliquam, Coldwater, Lakahahem, Tanakteuk, Adams Lake, Fountain, Cowessess, Tsawout, Nimkish, Shawahlook, Chemanius, Tsaw, Port Douglas, Ashcroft.

More Information

Alternate Name(s)
Indian Residential School, Sechelt
Our Lady of Lourdes
Sechelt (Indian) Residential School
Sechelt Boarding School
Sechelt Indian Boarding School
Sechelt Indian School
Sechelt Indian Student Residence
Sechelt Industrial School
Sechelt Student Residence
St. Augustine's
Permalink

Discussion

Do you have a story or comment about this school?

Related

Records

Loading...